Art Collector & Attorney

Learn English With Jokes • Ret's ESL Jokes

Learn English With Jokes

Art Collector & Attorney

Intermediate · Past Simple · Vocabulary Building



Survolez les mots en ambre pour voir les définitions en français.

An attorneyAVOCAT / REPRÉSENTANT LÉGAL named Johan telephoned and requested to speak with his client, a wealthyTRÈS RICHE art collector.

“Pieter,” he said, “I have some good news and some bad news.”

The collector sighedA SOUPIRÉ (EXPRIMANT LA DÉCEPTION). “Johan, I’ve had a truly rotten dayTRÈS MAUVAISE JOURNÉE. Please, let’s hear the good news first.”

“Well,” the lawyerAVOCAT said, “I met with your wife today. She informed me that she invested only €5,000 in two remarkable pictures—ones she believes could fetchSE VENDRE POUR (UN PRIX) between €15 and €20 million. And honestlyHONNÊTEMENT, I think she might be correct.”

Pieter’s mood brightenedS'EST AMÉLIORÉ / EST DEVENU PLUS JOYEUX. “That’s fantastic! My wife is an exceptional businesswoman. You’ve truly turned my day aroundRENDU MA JOURNÉE BEAUCOUP MEILLEURE. Now, I believe I can handleGÉRER / FAIRE FACE À the bad news. What is it?”

The lawyer paused. “The pictures show you and your secretary.”

📘 Key Vocabulary
attorney
AVOCAT / REPRÉSENTANT LÉGAL
wealthy
TRÈS RICHE
sighed
A SOUPIRÉ
rotten day
TRÈS MAUVAISE JOURNÉE
fetch
SE VENDRE POUR
brightened
S'EST AMÉLIORÉ
handle
GÉRER / FAIRE FACE À
📖 Grammar Points

1. Past simple for narrative events
The joke uses past simple throughout: "telephoned", "requested", "said", "sighed", "met", "informed", "invested", "brightened", "paused". These are completed actions that move the story forward. In French, this corresponds to the passé composé or passé simple.

2. Present perfect for past actions with present relevance
"I've had a truly rotten day" uses the present perfect to describe a past experience that affects the present moment. In French, this is similar to "j'ai eu" (passé composé) but with a continuing effect.

3. Present simple for dialogue and general statements
The dialogue uses present simple: "I have", "she believes", "I think", "I can handle". This is common in jokes to make the conversation feel immediate. The narrative also uses present simple for the setup: "is" (describing the collector).

4. Modal verbs for possibility and ability
"could fetch" uses the modal "could" to express possibility. "I can handle" uses "can" to express ability. In French, these are "pourrait se vendre" and "je peux gérer".

🔁 Synonyms & Alternatives
attorney · lawyer / counsel / solicitor
AVOCAT → also "juriste"
wealthy · rich / affluent / well-off
RICHE → also "aisé"
fetch · sell for / go for / bring in
SE VENDRE → also "rapporter"
handle · manage / deal with / cope with
GÉRER → also "traiter"

These alternatives fit the conversational tone: “his lawyer”, “an affluent collector”, “could sell for”.

💬 Mini Dialogue

Context: Two friends, Thabo and Lerato, are sharing jokes during a break.

Thabo: "I heard a funny one about an art collector and his attorneyAVOCAT."
Lerato: "What happened?"
Thabo: "The attorney calls and says he has good news and bad news. The collector had a rotten dayTRÈS MAUVAISE JOURNÉE, so he asks for the good news first."
Lerato: "And the good news?"
Thabo: "His wife invested €5,000 in two pictures that could fetchSE VENDRE millions. He's thrilled, and he asks for the bad news."
Lerato: "What is it?"
Thabo: "The pictures show him with his secretary!"
Lerato: "Oh no! That's a good one!"

Uses past simple for the narrative and present simple for the dialogue. Vocabulary items appear naturally.

© — This blog collects and shares light-hearted jokes that have been passed along by word of mouth. I do not claim ownership of any of them. You are welcome to copy, share, or tell them at weddings, dinner parties, your braai, or bar mitzvah. If you have a favourite clean joke, drop it in the comments and we may, if it's really good, feature it here. Check out our Privacy Policy. Also visit po-re-li.blogspot.com.

🌱 If you enjoy this blog, consider buying me a coffee.

Learn English With Jokes · The Best Combination Ever

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn English With Jokes • A Husband With A Temper

Learn English With Jokes • Seeing A Friend Off

Learn English With Jokes ✦ Roasting Trump