Joke: Birthday Gift Dreams

Learn English With Jokes • Ret's ESL Jokes

Learn English With Jokes

Birthday Gift Dreams

Intermediate · Vocabulary Building · Past Tenses



Survolez ou tapez sur les mots en ambre pour voir les définitions en français.

At breakfast AU PETIT-DÉJEUNER , a woman said to her husband, "Honey, I had the wildest dream LE RÊVE LE PLUS FOU | LE PLUS ÉTRANGE last night. I dreamt that I saw a diamond necklace COLLIER ! What do you think it means?"

The husband thought about it for a moment, and answered, "Well, you know, darling CHÉRIE | MA CHÉRIE , maybe you'll find out what that dream means on your birthday."

Some time later, they were having breakfast again, and the wife said, "Honey, I just had another dream. I was wearing JE PORTAIS | J'AVAIS SUR MOI diamond earrings! What do you think it means?"

The husband answered, "Your birthday is even closer TON ANNIVERSAIRE EST ENCORE PLUS PROCHE now, sweetie CHÉRIE | MA CHÉRIE , so I bet JE PARIE | JE SUIS SÛR(E) QUE you're going to find out what that dream means!"

Another morning at breakfast, the wife said, "Honey, I had a dream last night that someone gave me a diamond tennis bracelet. What do you think this dream means?"

The husband answered, "Sweetie, it's your birthday next week, and I promise, you'll find out exactly what that dream means."

The day before the wife's birthday, she said to her husband, "Honey, I dreamt last night that you gave me a diamond ring! Do you know what that dream means?"

The husband answered, "Sweetie, I love you so much, and all I can say is TOUT CE QUE JE PEUX DIRE, C'EST... there's only one more day until you find out AVANT QUE TU NE DÉCOUVRES | JUSQU'À CE QUE TU DÉCOUVRES what all these dreams mean."

The next morning at breakfast, the husband gave his wife her birthday present CADEAU D'ANNIVERSAIRE . It was a book: "How to Interpret Your Dreams."

📘 Key Vocabulary
breakfast
PETIT-DÉJEUNER
the wildest dream
LE RÊVE LE PLUS FOU
necklace
COLLIER
darling
CHÉRIE
I was wearing
JE PORTAIS
sweetie
CHÉRIE
birthday is even closer
ANNIVERSAIRE ENCORE PLUS PROCHE
I bet
JE PARIE | JE SUIS SÛR(E)
all I can say is
TOUT CE QUE JE PEUX DIRE, C'EST...
until you find out
JUSQU'À CE QUE TU DÉCOUVRES
birthday present
CADEAU D'ANNIVERSAIRE
📖 Grammar Points

1. Past simple for completed events
The story mainly uses the past simple: "said," "had," "dreamt," "saw," "thought," "answered," "gave". These forms describe completed events in the past.

2. Past continuous for an action in progress
The expression "I was wearing diamond earrings" uses the past continuous (was/were + -ing). It describes what the woman had on at a particular moment in her dream.

3. "Going to" for a prediction
The husband says, "You're going to find out what that dream means." We commonly use be + going to for a prediction based on the situation or evidence.

4. "Until" for a point in time
"There's only one more day until you find out." Here, until introduces the point when something will happen. In French, this can often be translated as "jusqu'à ce que".

5. "What do you think it means?"
This is a useful way of asking someone for their interpretation or opinion: "What do you think it means?" The word what introduces the question about the meaning.

🔁 Synonyms & Alternatives
darling · sweetie
CHÉRIE → also "DEAR", "HONEY", "LOVE"
wildest dream · strange dream · crazy dream
RÊVE FOU / ÉTRANGE
find out · discover · learn
DÉCOUVRIR / APPRENDRE

These alternatives are useful in everyday English, although find out is particularly natural when talking about discovering information.

💬 Mini Dialogue

Context: Two friends, Thabo and Lerato, are talking about birthday presents.

Thabo: "My wife keeps having dreams about expensive presents."
Lerato: "Really? What does she dream about?"
Thabo: "First, she dreamt about a diamond necklace COLLIER . Then she dreamt she was wearing diamond earrings."
Lerato: "And what did you say?"
Thabo: "I told her she'd find out DÉCOUVRIR on her birthday."
Lerato: "So what did you give her?"
Thabo: "You'll have to wait and see!"

Uses past simple for the story and everyday expressions such as "find out", "really?" and "wait and see".

© — This blog collects and shares light-hearted jokes that have been passed along by word of mouth. I do not claim ownership of any of them. You are welcome to copy, share, or tell them at weddings, dinner parties, your braai, or bar mitzvah. If you have a favourite clean joke, drop it in the comments and we may, if it's really good, feature it here. Check out our Privacy Policy . Also visit po-re-li.blogspot.com .

🌱 If you enjoy this blog, consider buying me a coffee .

Learn English With Jokes · The Best Combination Ever

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn English With Jokes ✦ A Husband With A Temper

Learn English With Jokes • Seeing A Friend Off

Learn English With Jokes ✦ Roasting Trump