Learn English With Jokes ✦ The Three Wishes
Learn English With Jokes
The Three Wishes
Intermediate · Past Simple · Direct Speech
✦
Survolez les mots en ambre pour voir les définitions en français.
A man was walking through the woods when he spotted a magic lamp lying on the ground. Instinctively, he picked it up and rubbed the side of it with his sleeve. Suddenly, a genie appeared in a swirl of blue smoke.
The genie thanked the man for freeing him and offered to grant him three wishes. The man was overjoyed and knew exactly what he wanted.
“First,” said the man, “I want one billionUN MILLIARD euros.” The genie snapped his fingers, and a briefcase filled with money appeared out of nowhere.
The man was wide-eyedLES YEUX ÉCARQUILLÉS in amazement and continued, “Next, I want a Ferrari.” The genie snapped his fingers again, and a bright red Ferrari appeared in a puff of smoke.
The man thought for a moment, then said, “Finally, I want to be irresistibleIRRÉSISTIBLE to women.” The genie snapped his fingers once more, and the man instantly turned into a box of chocolates.
📘 Key Vocabulary
📖 Grammar Points
1. Past simple for narration
The joke uses mainly past simple to narrate past events: "A man was walking... he spotted... The genie thanked... offered...". This tense tells the sequence of completed actions in the story.
2. Direct speech
The wishes are shown in direct speech with quotation marks: “First,” said the man, “I want one billion euros.”. This brings the dialogue to life and is common in storytelling and jokes.
🔁 Synonyms & Alternatives
💬 Mini Dialogue
Paul: Yesterday I found an old coin in the park and it made me wide-eyedLES YEUX ÉCARQUILLÉS with excitement.
Sarah: Really? What did you do next?
Paul: I wished I could become irresistibleIRRÉSISTIBLE to everyone at the office.
Sarah: Careful what you wish for — you might end up like that man in the joke!
Uses past simple for narration and direct speech naturally.
© — This blog collects and shares light-hearted jokes that have been passed along by word of mouth. I do not claim ownership of any of them. You are welcome to copy, share, or tell them at weddings, dinner parties, your braai, or bar mitzvah. If you have a favourite clean joke, drop it in the comments and we may, if it's really good, feature it here. Check out our Privacy Policy. Also visit po-re-li.blogspot.com.
Comments