Learn English With Jokes • Two Planets

Learn English With Jokes • Two Planets
Woman laughing at a joke

Learn with a joke, then do a quick quiz.

Two Planets

Intermediate · Past Simple · Vocabulary Building


✦

Survolez ou tapez sur les mots en ambre pour voir les définitions en français.

During my check-upBILAN DE SANTÉ I asked the PhysicianMÉDECIN, "Do you think I'll live a long and healthy life?" He replied, "I kind of doubt itJ'EN DOUTE UN PEU. You see, Mercury is in UranusMERCURE EST DANS URANUS (JEU DE MOTS : "URANUS" SONNE COMME "YOUR ANUS") right now." I said, "I don't go in forJE NE M'INTÉRESSE PAS À any of that astrologyASTROLOGIE nonsense." He replied, "Neither do I. My thermometerTHERMOMÈTRE just broke."

📘 Key Vocabulary
check-up
BILAN DE SANTÉ
physician
MÉDECIN
kind of doubt it
J'EN DOUTE UN PEU
Mercury is in Uranus
JEU DE MOTS : MERCURE / URANUS
go in for
S'INTÉRESSER À
astrology
ASTROLOGIE
thermometer
THERMOMÈTRE
📖 Grammar Points

1. Past simple for narrative events
The joke uses past simple: "asked", "replied", "said", "broke". These are completed actions that set up the story. In French, this corresponds to the passé composé or passé simple.

2. Future with "will" for predictions
"I'll live" uses "will" to make a prediction about the future. In French, this is "je vivrai" (futur simple).

3. Present simple for dialogue and general statements
The dialogue uses present simple: "do you think", "I kind of doubt", "you see", "I don't go in for". This makes the conversation feel immediate. The punchline uses present simple for the final reveal: "my thermometer just broke".

4. "Neither do I" for agreement with negative statements
"Neither do I" is the correct response to a negative statement. In French, this is "moi non plus". This is a common source of errors for learners, who sometimes say "me too" instead.

🔁 Synonyms & Alternatives
check-up · examination | medical exam | physical
BILAN DE SANTÉ → also "examen médical"
physician · doctor | medical practitioner | GP
MÉDECIN → also "docteur"
go in for · be into | be interested in | enjoy
S'INTÉRESSER À → also "aimer"
nonsense · rubbish | garbage | foolishness
BÊTISES → also "absurdités"

These alternatives fit the conversational tone: “medical exam”, “doctor”, “I'm not into”, “rubbish”.

💬 Mini Dialogue

Context: Two friends, Thabo and Lerato, are sharing jokes during a break.

Thabo: "I heard a funny one about a doctor's check-upBILAN DE SANTÉ."
Lerato: "What happens?"
Thabo: "The patient asks if he'll live a long life. The doctor says he doubts it because Mercury is in UranusJEU DE MOTS."
Lerato: "So the doctor believes in astrologyASTROLOGIE?"
Thabo: "No! The patient says he doesn't believe in astrology, and the doctor replies: 'Neither do I. My thermometerTHERMOMÈTRE just broke!'"
Lerato: "So Mercury from the thermometer is literally in his... oh no! That's terrible!"

Uses past simple for the narrative and present simple for the dialogue. Vocabulary items appear naturally.

⚡ Quick Check — 30 seconds

No marks. This is just to see if the words stuckPas de notes. Juste pour voir si les mots sont bien restés en mémoire.

1. In this joke, a “check-up” is…



2. “I don’t go in for astrology” means…



3. The doctor says “Neither do I.” What is he agreeing with?



4. Why is “Mercury is in Uranus” funny in this joke?



5. Which verb forms are past simple in the joke?



© — This blog collects and shares light-hearted jokes that have been passed along by word of mouth. I do not claim ownership of any of them. You are welcome to copy, share, or tell them at weddings, dinner parties, your braai, or bar mitzvah. If you have a favourite clean joke, drop it in the comments and we may, if it's really good, feature it here. Check out our Privacy Policy. Also visit po-re-li.blogspot.com.

🌱 If you enjoy this blog, consider buying me a coffee.

Learn English With Jokes · The Best Combination Ever

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn English With Jokes ✦ A Husband With A Temper

Learn English With Jokes ✦ Roasting Trump

esl jokes privacy policy