Learn English With Jokes • Macho Man

Macho Man

Learn English With Jokes

Machoman's Rules

Intermediate · Past Simple · Present Simple



Survolez les mots en ambre pour voir les définitions en français.

A typical macho man married a good-lookingbelle young lady. A few days after the weddingle mariage, he laid downétablit some rules.

“I’ll be home when I want, if I want, and at what time I want, and I don’t expect any hassleproblèmes from you. I expect a great, warm dinnerdîner chaud to be on the table, unlesssauf si I tell you I won’t be home for dinner. I’ll go huntingchasser, boozingboire, and card-playing with my old buddiesamis whenever I want, and don’t give me a hard time about it. Those are my rules. Any comments?”

His new bridemariée said, “No, that’s fine with me. Just understand that there will be sexil y aura du sexe here at seven o’clock every night… whether you’re here or notque tu sois là ou pas.”

📘 Key Vocabulary
good-looking
BELLE
wedding
MARIAGE
laid down
ÉTABLIT
hassle
PROBLÈMES
warm dinner
DÎNER CHAUD
unless
SAUF SI
hunting
CHASSER
boozing
BOIRE
buddies
AMIS
bride
MARIÉE
📖 Grammar Points

1. Past simple for narrative events
The joke opens with past simple: "married", "laid down", "said". These are completed actions that set up the story. In French, this corresponds to the passé composé or passé simple.

2. Present simple for reported speech and general truths
The dialogue uses present simple and future forms: "I’ll be", "I don't expect", "there will be". This is common in jokes to make the conversation feel immediate. The wife's punchline uses "there will be" (future) and "whether you’re here or not" (present subjunctive/conditional).

3. Future with "will" for promises and predictions
The husband uses "I'll be" and "I'll go" to state his intentions. The wife uses "there will be" to make a firm prediction. In French, these are "je serai", "j'irai", and "il y aura".

4. "Unless" and "whether" clauses
"Unless I tell you" = "sauf si je te dis" (condition). "Whether you're here or not" = "que tu sois là ou pas" (alternative condition).

🔁 Synonyms & Alternatives
good-looking · attractive / beautiful / handsome
BELLE → also "jolie"
laid down · established / set / imposed
ÉTABLIT → also "fixa"
hassle · trouble / grief / argument
PROBLÈMES → also "embêtements"
buddies · pals / mates / friends
AMIS → also "copains"

These alternatives keep the colloquial tone: “set some rules”, “don’t give me any grief”, “my old pals”.

💬 Mini Dialogue

Context: Two colleagues, Maria and Jean, are chatting during a break. Maria tells Jean a joke about a couple.

Maria: "So this macho guy gets married to a beautiful woman. A few days later, he lays down the law."
Jean: "What does he say?"
Maria: "He says: 'I'll come and go as I please. I want a hot dinner on the table unless I say otherwise. I'll go hunting and drinking with my buddies. Any questions?'"
Jean: "And what does she say?"
Maria: "She says: 'Fine. Just know that there will be sex here at 7 p.m. every night — whether you're here or not.'"
Jean: "Ha! She got him!"

Uses present simple for the dialogue and past simple for the narrative frame. Vocabulary items appear naturally.

© — This blog collects and shares light-hearted jokes that have been passed along by word of mouth. I do not claim ownership of any of them. You are welcome to copy, share, or tell them at weddings, dinner parties, your braai, or bar mitzvah. If you have a favourite clean joke, drop it in the comments and we may, if it's really good, feature it here. Check out our Privacy Policy. Also visit po-re-li.blogspot.com.

🌱 If you enjoy this blog, consider buying me a coffee.

Learn English With Jokes · The Best Combination Ever

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn English With Jokes • A Husband With A Temper

Learn English With Jokes • Seeing A Friend Off

Learn English With Jokes ✦ Roasting Trump