-->

Saturday 12 May 2018

pass the butter

A patient says: "Doctor, last night I made a Freudian slip. I was having dinner with my mother-in-law and wanted to say: 'Could you please pass the butter?'"

"But instead I said: 'You old hag, you've completely ruined my life!'"



Your in-laws are the family of your spouse. Individually, though, they could be your:

Who What
Brother-in-law
Father-in-law
Sister-in-law
Daughter-in-law
Son-in-law

Co-sister
Co-brother
the brother of your spouse
the father of your spouse
the sister of your spouse
the wife of your child
the husband of your child

the wife of your husband's brother
the husband of your wife's sister

The speaker in the joke above says (s)he was having dinner. This is what I call the alibi tense because it's the tense you would use if the police wanted to know where you were when a crime was committed. Some refer to it as the interrupted tense because we use it to show that another action happened during it. In other words, it is an action that continued before and after another action.

[ more... ]

Sign up to receive learning tips and advice here: https://www.rethabile-masilo.net/#blog
img_e-mail_address