-->

Friday 5 June 2020

military cops

𝔸 soldier ran up to a nun. Out of breath, he asked, "Please, Sister, may I hide under your skirt. I’ll explain later."

The nun agreed… and a moment later two Military Cops ran up and asked, "Sister, have you seen a soldier go by here?" The nun replied, "He went that way."

After the Military Cops had turned the corner, the soldier crawled out from under her skirt and said, "I can’t thank you enough, Sister. You see, I don’t want to go to Iraq."

The nun said, "I understand completely."

The soldier added, "I hope I’m not being rude, but you have a great pair of legs!"

The nun replied, "If you had looked a little higher, you would have seen a great pair of something else. I don’t want to go to Iraq either."

"The last word in the punchline is what we're going to focus on, the word "either." Its mirror image is the negative "neither." In the case of this joke, "either" is used to show a similarity or an agreement with a statement that has just been made [...est utilisé pour montrer une similitude ou un accord avec une déclaration qui vient d'être faite]. If you said "She doesn't like Michael Jackson," I might say, "I don't like him either." Perhaps an explanatory table will help us understand more easily. Notice the consistent use of the auxiliary verb here.

Negative Sentence Agreeing Affirmative Sentence Agreeing
I don't smoke I don't smoke either I [do] smoke So do I
She can't swim I can't swim either She can swim So can I
We mustn't call He mustn't call either They've finished So have you
I will not do it Tim won't do it either Jim may leave So may Jane
rethabile-masilo.net

Try this quiz

Sign up to receive learning tips and advice here: https://www.rethabile-masilo.net/#blog
img_e-mail_address